5 Simple Steps to a Better Business Website
This is part one is a two part series on building a better website.
A good business needs a good website. A website details your products and services to anyone, anywhere across the globe. It extends your brand and represents the overall warmth of your business.
Many businesses invest a lot of time into a website, but whilst looking the part it often does not generate the results they hoped for. But our Five Simple Steps to a Better Website will show you how you can change this…
1. Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
SEO is an ongoing process of gathering more traffic to your web pages. An SEO friendly website boosts the pages prominence in the natural search results, from search engines such as Google, Bing, Yahoo, and many others.
What are the benefits of SEO?
By making sure your web pages are SEO friendly it can heighten your website’s position in search results, which makes it more accessible for potential clients. This will increase the flow of traffic to your website.
SEO works by incorporating a set of keywords into the written content of a webpage. This means when people need a specific product or service they will search for these keywords. This means your page will appear at the top of the results page for the phrases they were searching for.
SEO helps with active marketing. When people need your product or service, they will almost always search for it online first. Active marketing means that you will be at or near the top of the search results
How to get started
- Start by checking your SEO Score, run SEO check-up tools to evaluate your overall SEO friendliness score to determine what needs to be done to improve it.
- Use keyword research tools to find out what potential clients are typing into Google’s search engine when they’re searching for your products and services.
- Create engaging and welcoming content that’s keyword rich. Your content should be inviting, unique and easy to read, and most importantly it should correctly sell your products and services.
- Check your site follows the Google Webmaster Guidelines. To push your website’s ranking in the natural listings, this guide will help you to understand the next steps to take.
Copywriting is the process of writing the words on your website, and when done correctly it’s a great chance for potential clients to be welcomed to your business. Many clients search your business online, before coming straight to you. For this reason, it’s very important that your online presence is welcoming and invites the clicks to your business.
However, this can be harder than you think. You need to create copy that grabs your reader’s attention to get them walking through the door. You don’t need to glamorise yourself, you just need to be unique, interesting and welcoming. Sadly most businesses fail to write good content for their websites.
What are the benefits of Copywriting?
Professionally written, SEO optimised content will generate more sales, leads and enquiries, therefore it will quickly pay for itself. With the focus on keywords, it will improve your page ranking in search results, leading to more traffic, more clicks and more sales.
Copywriters write with your customers in mind, the written content easily grabs potential clients, as all written material is produced to target your customers.
How to get started
- Keyword research: We cannot emphasise enough the importance pre-planning your written content. Before writing or updating the content for the website, carry out keyword research beforehand to see how people are searching for your products. Incorporate these phrases into the content of your site.
- Target your audience: Before wiring your content build the demographic of the audience you want to target. Think about the style and content you will use to grab their attention. Try to answer their questions, by considering how your product can help them. This will help you create content that is more relevant to them. However, this is much harder than you think, which is why we suggest investing in a professional website copywriter who combines strong writing skills with an understanding of the sales process and the principles of SEO.
- Create unique content: Don’t simply copy and paste, show your audience that you made the effort to address them. Also, Google will penalise duplicate content.
Written exclusively for ITC’s Customers by Hampshire Based Website and SEO specialists Sites for Business.
If you would like more information on hosting or website development you can visit their website or, contact us now!