How can you fight spam? A comprehensive guide.
Spam the biggest mailbox time waster
You are probably accustomed to your mailbox being flooded with spam offering suspicious loans and weird adult services. According to BBC research, around 90% of all emails sent are spam and deleting them is a huge waste of time. Unfortunately, as the internet has grown so have the spammers and the amount of spam-mail sent is growing and showing no signs of slowing down. Not only that but spammers are adopting ever more sophisticated techniques and are creating very credible-looking messages which can fool even the most careful of us.If you would like to know more about spam please see: What is spam?
The best ways to reduce the amount of spam coming to your mailbox
There are several ways you can be more savvy about the way you use your email account that can reduce the number of unwanted emails you receive:
- Be careful who you give your email address to. Don’t advertise your email address, for example by putting it on the internet.
- Don’t give your email address to websites that you do not trust to protect your data. Avoid that dubious looking diet pill website!
- Never reveal your email address on your website. If you have a website, putting your email address on it will be an incentive for a program that is harvesting addresses. You should use a web contact form instead.
- Consider having two email addresses. You could use a disposable account, especially for buying online or writing to newsgroups. If you find that you are getting a lot of spam at this address, you can simply delete it and set up another.
- Try to avoid opening spam emails and clicking on links in spam messages.
- Avoid ‘unsubscribe’ options. Spammers often include an ‘unsubscribe’ link. Far from removing the danger, clicking it will confirm that your address is active and probably attract even more spam.
- Use a service such as Google Apps for Business or Office 365. They have inbuilt intelligent spam-filtering servers.
If you’ve still got too many spam emails to handle, the best anti-spam measure is to use a spam filter!
We offer an ITC SpamBlock Service which provides and advanced Spam Filtering service, including 24/7 online quarantine access, optional per-user daily spam report, domain-wide blacklist/whitelist functionality, virus & executable files, and inbound message queue service if your primary mailserver is offline. All of this as well as many other fantastic features which will enable you to maintain a clear inbox and peace of mind.
If you want to discuss the precautions we suggested or start using our ITC SpamBlock Service in your business:
Free can of Spam when you invest in SpamBlock September 2014 click here for more info